Thursday, September 3, 2009

May Day 6

Albert Parsons fled north to Wisconsin to hide out after the Haymarket events. The Chicago Police were rounding up any and all anarchists and labor leaders for the crimes.
I imagined this as his last letter from prison, one of the few things in the May Day set of songs I didn't lift from actual speeches and writings. Some details are true though, Parsons stopped using black hair dye and lived under another identity.


Death Letter

It's Chicago's death row for me now
but they allowed this last letter
it was the hope of some justice that turned me back
i should have known better

kiss me, i don't know when or if i'll see you again
flee north to another town, let my hair grow white
take on another name and start another life
kiss me, i don't know when or if i'll see you again
this place will make you a tyrant or they'll have you a slave
i'll stand with you here in between as long as i may

Neither god nor chance can save me now
but they allowed this last letter

No comments: