Monday, December 1, 2008

Part Of The Problem 2

"War Is The Health Of The State" said Randolph Silliman Bourne, a man of crippled physical stature but immense awareness of history and society. It was the first World War and here was a man, like those damned anarchists, who claimed that no good would come to the common person in any country involved in conflict. Whether it was outright imperialist plunder or something disguised as a more benign mission to save someone or some imagined value or way of life, the common soldier would die and the common worker would work (or become a solider and then die). Profits from war industry would be pocketed by those already wearing fat, greedy pants. Whatever small victory that could be claimed would not fix the psychological damage of the victor. Fuck the losers, we won't even speak of their fate. In the end, the original goals of the conflict would probably be forgotten as lies, as more heaps of lies obscured whatever people once thought their country was fighting for.

The poor confused soldier, perhaps a young man scorned, who enjoys firing his gun at the midnight hour of new year's eve and is prone to a revenge killing if given the chance.

I didn't know the name Osama Bin Laden in the year 2000 and I'd nearly foregotten Saddam Hussein. I imagined the Frankenstein monster as an Italian gentlemen with the given name of Luigi.

I wanted that man to die for what he did to me
I had my heart set on killing Luigi
my country started a war, they told me to take a stand
I said what did you go and do that for, I only want to kill one man
But I up and joined their ranks to see if I could see
from the planes and from the tanks that bastard Luigi
I killed ten men and maybe more and that was just the first day
more batallions topped the hill and I blew them all away

I walked amongst the corpses wandering how it could be
that I'd killed so many men and not shot Luigi
yes, I killed so many men that honors they bestowed
then they said we won the war and to me that they owed
I said wait a minute, what about Luigi
I have not won a war if still that man goes free
something still wasn't right a voice spoke in my head
so I hunted Luigi down and shot the bastard dead

they people they were outraged, they cursed my bloody name
they said that I had broken the rules of their game
I showed them my medals but they just shook their heads
they dragged me to the guillotine, they say they want me dead

1 comment:

matty lite said...

But Tim-ah, why-ah you wannah kill-ah my brothah?

-Mario